In the 1800's fewer than 700 bison remained from the great herds that once numbered upwards of 40 million. Today over 400,000 bison have been restored to their native habitats.
The Buffalo Wool Company along with ranchers across North American are committed to bringing back one million bison over the coming years. A portion of the proceeds from each sale we make goes directly to this project. Each time you make a purchase from us, you are helping to restore bison herds across America.
What It Will Require
Bison One Million is the most ambitious goal in bison restoration since Dr. William Hornaday and Theodore Roosevelt sparked the American Bison Society in 1905. Achieving this goal will require a coordinated effort among all stakeholders.
The herds could expand at a rate of little over 10% per year, over the next eight years, the overall North American herd would surpass one million animals by 2025.
Ranchers, public herd managers must all develop a game plan for their individual roles. Just as important, federal, state, and provincial agencies must play a role through new policies, including:
- Additional incentives for young and beginning bison ranchers;
- Expanded access to federal grazing lands for bison production and ecosystem restoration;
- Incentives for expansion of tribal/First Nation community herds for tribal and commercial markets;
- Restoration of bison in federal and state parks that were part of the historic bison habitat.
- Expanded live bison transfers from public parks to tribal groups and ranchers; and
- Expanded learning opportunities for sustainable bison production and stewardship.