A Pi shawl is one of the easiest of the circular shawl shapes to knit. The increases are at specific points which make it easy to track the pattern as there are no increases to interrupt the flow.
A split Pi shawl is suddenly a cape, a swirl, movement that hugs your shoulders. Love is… Pi is a split Pi with shaping added to the front opening. This shawl can be wrapped around the neck or pinned to be double breasted; the lace-edged contrast color inserts add interest to the movement and punctuation to the lace patterning itself. The double edging just keeps the movement going.
To make the shawl in the two colors you will need 800 yds of one color and 400 yds of the contrast color.
The inspiration for the garment came from the Cavaliers’ of King Charles Era, many of whom wore cloaks trimmed with lace embellished with colorful inserts.
This shawl was originally designed for the Buffalo Wool Co MKAL - Love is….. This KAL started Aug 1, 2015
- Knitting pattern, written
- Published in September 2015
- Designer LeTissier Designs, Lynette Meek (designer page on Ravelry)
- Buffalo Wool Company Sexy 1200 yds of laceweight yarn. 2 colors primary and 1 contrast color
- Worked top down, short rows, and worked flat
- Beading optional - 40 grams of 8/0 beads (not included in kit)
- Gauge 16 stitches = 4 inches in Snowflake Lace pattern - blocked
- Needle size US 5 - 3.75 mm
- Hook size 0.6 mm
- Yardage 1100 - 1200 yards (1006 - 1097 m) 3 skeins 1200 yds of Sexy Laceweight yarn
- Sizes available One Size